Eastside road construction
Posted by raptorov

I saw on the Facebook page that there is construction on I-465 between I-70 and I-65. If one is coming in on I-74 from Cincinnati, what should we look out for, detours, problems and such.
Any help would be most helpful!

Posted by aldctjoc

I drove this just last Saturday myself. 

When you're coming in on I-74, your best bet is to just go to I-465 West, then exit on I-65 North. That will bring you towards downtown. 

Depending on what time you get there, there might be significant traffic to deal with. Both on I-465 and on I-65 north. It can't be helped. 

Once you get near downtown, you'll have a choice between continuing on I-65 north or exiting to I-70 West. Neither choice is wrong. It'll really depend on where your hotel is, but it's not like you can't get to any hotel from either direction. It might just take longer. You'll see what I mean on any map of Indianapolis. 

Does that help? Ask any more questions you may have. 

Posted by aldctjoc

Oh, also: https://511in.org/

That's an interactive map of the roads around Indiana. You can zoom in on Indianapolis, and select from the "Layers" box the "Construction" checkbox to see all the construction zones. You can also check the "Unplanned Traffic Incidents" box to get indications of, say, accidents, emergency road closures or restrictions, etc. My personal experience with that site is that it tends to update anywhere from 5 to 20 minutes for car accidents. 

It's also got traffic cams you can select. 

For you, you can see all construction zones all the way to the Indiana/Ohio border. I don't know if Ohio has an equivalent site, but at least you can get info about Indiana interstates. 

Posted by raptorov

Thanks, that's helpful!
This would be the year my hotel is at the I-70 / I-465 exchange....

Posted by aldctjoc

Oh, out near Shadeland and the like. Ok. 

Yeah, when you first come in, you're going to end up going the looooong way around: I-465 West to I-65 North, then to I-70 East. 

I wish there was a quick way to just jump onto I-70 before you get to I-465. There are county roads that, in combination could get you there. But it'd be a longer trip than just headed to 465. Plus, it'd be a maddening 2-lane back county journey. I wouldn't recommend it unless you had plenty of time and a desire to wander. 

Upside: When you leave for home on Sunday or Monday, though, you'll have a clear shot on I-465 South. That closure happened last spring and is done with. I drove that segment myself already. That'll make your life easier.

And yes, you'll still be able to get on I-70 from your hotel when you leave every day for the con. At certain times of the day, though, you'd run into some real traffic. That said, when I was driving around Indianapolis last Saturday, I-70 was full and slowing the first time I drove by it (around 6:30ish or so?), but was just plain normal and not terribly packed after 10pm. 

Yeah, that's a big gap, but my point is that I think there will be times during the day when traffic isn't so bad. 

But other times, though... woof...

Good luck with your drive! 

New Post Sign in to write a new post.