Getting ready for Badge Registration and Housing!
Posted by mikeboozer

Badge Reg is coming on February 11th!

Please make sure your account is in order if you plan on buying badge(s) You can find that information under Attendee Info

https://www.gencon.com/attend/your_account

More Policies and Show Info can be found in the same place under Polices and Show Info 

https://www.gencon.com/gen-con-indy/policies

If you want to get housing through our housing portal beginning on February 25th you can find information on that under Housing and Travel 

https://www.gencon.com/gen-con-indy/housing_travel

Badge purchasers — not badge holders — are eligible to request room assignments in the Gen Con housing block. The account holder who purchases the badge must request a hotel room assignment through the unique links located on the My Housing page of their Gen Con account. Only badge purchasers can request room assignments. If a badge is bought for you, you are not eligible to request a room assignment through your account.

Important notes on housing to remember! 

Badges must be purchased by Friday, February 23, 2024 to be included in the randomized access queue. Any customers who purchase badges after the randomized housing access times have been issued will be placed at the end of the initial queue.

Badge purchasers — not badge holders — are eligible to request room assignments in the Gen Con housing block. The account holder who purchases the badge must request a hotel room assignment through the unique links located on the My Housing page of their Gen Con account. Only badge purchasers can request room assignments. If a badge is bought for you, you are not eligible to request a room assignment through your account.

Mike

Posted by starnostar

Do we know when the info for hotels this year will be updated. The link is still showing 2023 https://www.gencon.com/gen-con-indy/hotelmap  I'm just trying to see what pricing is looking like

Posted by narzat starnostar

starnostar wrote:
Do we know when the info for hotels this year will be updated. The link is still showing 2023 https://www.gencon.com/gen-con-indy/hotelmap  I'm just trying to see what pricing is looking like

https://www.gencon.com/gen-con-indy/hotelmap is updated now.

Posted by raptorov

Why did they bump the badge and housing so late this year? I know I am being selfish, but that bumped housing right to where we are out of town every year. I was like, "please don't be last week of February..."
I know getting a housing time before 3pm is a fantasy, but at least I could dream about getting a decent hotel room.

Posted by del_grande raptorov

raptorov wrote:
Why did they bump the badge and housing so late this year? I know I am being selfish, but that bumped housing right to where we are out of town every year. I was like, "please don't be last week of February..."
I know getting a housing time before 3pm is a fantasy, but at least I could dream about getting a decent hotel room.

Can't you access your email and the web on your phone where you are going? It's not as if GenCon (ahem) Gen Con (that's better) requires some proprietary piece of equipment that you can use only when you are home.

Posted by quarex

I am not claiming to know Raptorov's circumstances but yeah I once had to ask for a late check-out and beg my 5-year-old to just watch cartoons instead of asking me repeatedly if we could start the 3-hour drive home because I could not reschedule the vacation overlapping with event registration 

Posted by raptorov

Yeah, basically that. We have never been able to successfully book a room through the block, but always had our secure reliable desktop ready with the dates, hotel info at our fingertips. Then we get 3pm times and forget about it.
Thats why I figured this would be the year we get a good time, trying to figure out how to toggle between the block and hotels, figuring out the where and room types, available dates while passing our phones back and forth while driving 70mph back home.
Its harder to do anything on the phone.
Do you know if you open a new window on the phone, will that bump you out of line on the Gen Con page?

Posted by narzat raptorov

raptorov wrote:
Yeah, basically that. We have never been able to successfully book a room through the block, but always had our secure reliable desktop ready with the dates, hotel info at our fingertips. Then we get 3pm times and forget about it.
Thats why I figured this would be the year we get a good time, trying to figure out how to toggle between the block and hotels, figuring out the where and room types, available dates while passing our phones back and forth while driving 70mph back home.
Do you know if you open a new window on the phone, will that bump you out of line on the Gen Con page?

In my experience, you can have multiple windows or tabs open in your browser to explore hotel information without a problem.  I'm not sure what happens if you close a tab or window with a reservation actively in process, though--I wouldn't risk it, but hopefully someone official will chime in with definitive info.  If you are in that process, you only have 10 minutes to complete the checkout anyway, so I'd imagine that doesn't come up often, except by accident.

Posted by armadilloal raptorov

raptorov wrote:

It's not a line; it's a standard hotel reservation portal.  The "lottery" part is that your individual login is locked out until X:XX pm.  After that point, you can log in or out at your leisure - it's just that every minute, more and more other users are being allowed in and reserving their rooms.

And it could always be worse - in the six years I've tried, I've only won the lottery once....in 2020.

Posted by mikeboozer narzat

narzat wrote:
raptorov wrote:
In my experience, you can have multiple windows or tabs open in your browser to explore hotel information without a problem.  I'm not sure what happens if you close a tab or window with a reservation actively in process, though--I wouldn't risk it, but hopefully someone official will chime in with definitive info.  If you are in that process, you only have 10 minutes to complete the checkout anyway, so I'd imagine that doesn't come up often, except by accident.

You should always keep the window open on the hotel page until you have completed your reservations. It is important to not wait once a reservation is offered as well, it will more then likely not be there if you go look at other reservations.

Mike

Posted by mikeboozer

Remember! If a desired room is not available:

The inventory of available hotel rooms will continue to fluctuate over the coming weeks/months due to attendees changing their plans, and the Gen Con Housing Portal shows the available room inventory in real-time. You can always search and book another reservation, and as long as you do not confirm a new one, your old reservation will stay intact.

Changes can be performed from receiving the initial assignment acknowledgment through the close of housing registration on July 15, 2024.

Mike

Posted by hahnarama

All I can say is thank the gods for having access to my company's corp account. My hamster tube connected hotel room is booked. 

Posted by zaphod

So I just realized that I'm getting massively screwed because I bought my wife's badge through the linked family feature of the website. Why in the world does this make any sense? Why does Gen Con want to screw over people that use this feature and give them less entries into the housing lottery?

It makes absolutely no sense and it should be by Badge HOLDER not PURCHASER. I'm not sure if this is just another example of laziness and not fixing the payment system, or if they want to actively screw over families, but its such a silly choice to force people to use separate accounts to purchase badges when they provide a feature that does the exact opposite.

If I tried to get this badge refunded and repurchased would it be processed right away? Or like most things would it sit in the Gen Con customer service email for weeks with no response and get processed way too late for the lottery?

Posted by mikeboozer zaphod

zaphod wrote:
So I just realized that I'm getting massively screwed because I bought my wife's badge through the linked family feature of the website. Why in the world does this make any sense? Why does Gen Con want to screw over people that use this feature and give them less entries into the housing lottery?
It makes absolutely no sense and it should be by Badge HOLDER not PURCHASER. I'm not sure if this is just another example of laziness and not fixing the payment system, or if they want to actively screw over families, but its such a silly choice to force people to use separate accounts to purchase badges when they provide a feature that does the exact opposite.
If I tried to get this badge refunded and repurchased would it be processed right away? Or like most things would it sit in the Gen Con customer service email for weeks with no response and get processed way too late for the lottery?

You have time to get it refunded and purchased on their account. As long as you contact [email protected] before tomorrows deadline.

Mike

Posted by jimdigris

How long are they stretching housing entry times on Sunday?  Last year, it was 3:30.

Posted by armadilloal

I don't think they've ever said that in advance.

Posted by urielblue

Everyone in my group, all 5 of us...got 3:45PM+ WTF  Ugh...

Posted by jimdigris

I got 3:31.  I got the same time last year and there were no rooms available anywhere.  The only year I got a good time was 2020.

Posted by lore seeker

3:15 here. Probably too late to get a downtown room on the first go.

Posted by squirecam

I already have a room, so of course I got 12:20 this year rather than my usual 2pm + times

Sign in to write a new post. New Post