Travelling from UK and total noob to Gen Con
Posted by geniuscodemonkey

As the title says, I'm travelling from the UK for GenCon and I'm a complete noob for GenCon on the US. I've attended several GenCons (around 20 years ago) in the UK and lots of other conventions but nothing as big as what you've got over there.... so some advise please.. 

• I want to go to a live event of some kind.
  • I'm thinking of GMing something.
  • I've booked a hotel thats about a 25 minute drive away but I'm thinking of taking an Uber each day (is this a good idea).
  • I mainly want to play in games (preferably not 5e), where can I find a GM?
  • Is there a group of non-noobs that I can hang out with that can show me the ropes?
  • I read somewhere there is a 5k race? If I bring my running stuff is there somewhere to shower afterwards and store my stuff while I go for the run? Is the run a charity thing?

All answers greatfully recieved. 

Matt

Posted by rleebyers

Eventually Gen Con will post a list of all the events including games that it has scheduled. Then you can buy tickets for the ones that interest you. There will also be some pick-up games here and there in hotel lobbies, etc.

Posted by jackogk

GMing something as an official event would require submitting it, you'll want to read this document on how to do that: https://files.gencon.com/genconeventhostpolicy.pdf

You'll notice that finding events will begin on May 19th and that's when you can find the games and events you'd like to play/participate in which, I'm pretty sure, includes the 5k.

Posted by gamerlaura

The 5K is the Orc Stomp.  It's a course through White River State Park.  No, there's no showers or storage, so if you're far out and don't have a connection to someone who would let you borrow a shower, might be best to skip it.

Posted by not-going-to-gencon

Matt,

I am also in the UK and was considering attending but had given up hope as I was not able to get a hotel room within 5 miles of the convention centre. Oh, and I also went to some of the UK Gen Cons years ago: London, Reading and Bognor. Maybe we were at the same UK ones!

You inspired me to be more intrepid in my efforts to attend. Do you mind if I reach out to you privately? I don't think these forums have PMing but maybe we can connect elsewhere, e.g. EN World.

Please let me know in this thread.

Thanks,

Zander   

Posted by a dark rider on a pale ... unicorn?

Is there a group of non-noobs that I can hang out with that can show me the ropes?

There's a Wednesday night social event that's pretty good for meeting folks, and a non-American accent tends to mean that people will notice you & say hello.

( I'm also coming in from the UK )

Posted by geniuscodemonkey not-going-to-gencon

not-going-to-gencon wrote:
Matt,
I am also in the UK and was considering attending but had given up hope as I was not able to get a hotel room within 5 miles of the convention centre. Oh, and I also went to some of the UK Gen Cons years ago: London, Reading and Bognor. Maybe we were at the same UK ones!
You inspired me to be more intrepid in my efforts to attend. Do you mind if I reach out to you privately? I don't think these forums have PMing but maybe we can connect elsewhere, e.g. EN World.
Thanks,
Zander   
yeah, please reach out on enworld.org. I'm geniuscodemonkey there as well.

Posted by geniuscodemonkey a dark rider on a pale ... unicorn?

a dark rider on a pale ... unicorn? wrote:
Is there a group of non-noobs that I can hang out with that can show me the ropes?

There's a Wednesday night social event that's pretty good for meeting folks, and a non-American accent tends to mean that people will notice you & say hello.( I'm also coming in from the UK )

I'll look out for the Wednesday social once I work out what I'm doing for travel. I was hoping to buy a bike for the 2 weeks and give it to charity when I go back, but bikes in the US are sooo expensive. 

Posted by colbrook geniuscodemonkey

geniuscodemonkey wrote:
As the title says, I'm travelling from the UK for GenCon and I'm a complete noob for GenCon on the US. I've attended several GenCons (around 20 years ago) in the UK and lots of other conventions but nothing as big as what you've got over there.... so some advise please.. 

• I want to go to a live event of some kind.
  • I'm thinking of GMing something.
  • I've booked a hotel thats about a 25 minute drive away but I'm thinking of taking an Uber each day (is this a good idea).
  • I mainly want to play in games (preferably not 5e), where can I find a GM?
  • Is there a group of non-noobs that I can hang out with that can show me the ropes?
  • I read somewhere there is a 5k race? If I bring my running stuff is there somewhere to shower afterwards and store my stuff while I go for the run? Is the run a charity thing?

All answers greatfully recieved. Matt

I'm a UK national living in the Caribbean, this year will be my 5th Gen Con 

First piece of advice, aim to arrive Wednesday Afternoon so you can pick up your badges and ticket from Will Call before the convention starts. You don't want to be stuck in a huge queue when everything's happening around you. 

Event registration goes live 19th May, and you can build a wishlist for two weeks before that. Keep an eye on Gen Con social media and email newsletters as they'll announce it ahead of time. 

I've stayed 25 minutes away a couple of times, and this year again if I don't get a closer room, there's plenty of Uber/Lyft drivers in town for the convention so getting there and back is pretty easy. 

There are a *lot* of events, with more being added every week in the run up to the convention, covering a whole gamut of games, seminars, workshops, live games, and more. You can still see last year's event listing here to get an idea 
https://gencon.eventdb.us/
Gen Con is BIG, it can be a couple of city blocks between events if you're unlucky. Most people recommend leaving at least 30 minutes gap between events to find your next one, hit the bathroom, grab a snack, etc. 

The open gaming area in the JW Marriott ballroom is a great place to meet other gamers, you'll also naturally meet people in the Will Call queue, in events, while you're eating. It's a friendly convention and people are happy to talk about all the new games and events they've tried. Depending on your hotel there might be people gaming in the lobby and open areas too. 

Posted by rhone1

It's nice to stay downtown but not mandatory.  I've stayed pretty far out of town a few times and have never had an issue getting an Uber or taxi.

If you are inclined, you should absolutely GM something.  There is information on the site about registering to host events.

Gen Con will release the game schedule in May (with new events continuously being added up until the Con) that you can register to play/participate in.
There will also be a lot (too many to count) of non 5e games to play.  The schedule will have the game listed and a description of the game to make sorting them easier.

You'll have no problem meeting people at Gen Con.  Someone mentioned open gaming at the JW Marriott.  There is typically open gaming at all of the local downtown hotels.  Some of my best Gen Con experiences have been pick up games.

Someone above mentioned the Wednesday "get together."  Keep checking the website, forums, Facebook and Discord for folks posting about other social events.

If you care to run the 5K Orc Stomp I highly recommend it.  I just took an Uber to and from my hotel last time I ran it.

You're going to have a great time!  You'll be around thousands of like minded people and my guess is that you'll have so much fun you'll be back next year!

Posted by not-going-to-gencon geniuscodemonkey

geniuscodemonkey wrote:
a dark rider on a pale ... unicorn? wrote:

There's a Wednesday night social event that's pretty good for meeting folks, and a non-American accent tends to mean that people will notice you & say hello.( I'm also coming in from the UK )
I'll look out for the Wednesday social once I work out what I'm doing for travel. I was hoping to buy a bike for the 2 weeks and give it to charity when I go back, but bikes in the US are sooo expensive. 
Matt,
I've PMed you at EN World.
My username there is Zander.

Posted by conspiracyofgamers

Matt, 

I'm the event organizer for a group of independent GM's.  We all run our own events, but we group together to share experiences, ask questions, and generally support each other.  If you want to run an event (or events) send me a message and we can help you get set up.

Note that event submissions are due by March 10, which is coming up pretty quick.

Mike

Posted by urielblue not-going-to-gencon

not-going-to-gencon wrote:
Matt,
Thanks,
Zander   
Hey there, Our crew found a nice hotel about 5 miles (10 minute Uber) for less than $100/night, IIRC. I'll post the info later today, as my friend has the info, in case you are still looking for a spot. We are familiar with the areas, and though this is 5m out, it's a straight/easy shot into the Convention area.
Cheers - Ron

Posted by llenlleawg not-going-to-gencon

not-going-to-gencon wrote: I don't think these forums have PMing...

FYI, if you click on your icon in the upper right corner, your will see "My Messages" in the drop-down menu. You can message someone by clicking to start a new conversation and using the username of the recipient.

Posted by ubermx

Lots of good advice here already.
If you want to do the 5k either sign up during the event registration or they often allow you to register the day before the race, usually the registration is in the Crowne Plaza hotel. 
The shower thing will be difficult, but maybe you can find a fellow brit to help you out.  
The events catalogue will be released before the registration date so you can see what kind of games you would like to try to register for.  
I am, like some of the other posters, would be happy to answer any other questions you have and can share some advice with you.  

New Post Sign in to write a new post.