No hotel rooms at 2:39 for three
Posted by zekester

When my 2:39 time slot came up search found four hotels in the block that could hold my three attendees.  I selected each hotel, but alas, "We couldn't find any results for your search" each time I selected a hotel.  No hotel for me.

Posted by zekester

Alack, it looks like it was not just rooms to hold three people:

Sold Out Advisory!Due to enthusiastic turnout, the Gen Con 2024 attendee room block has sold out. Over the coming days and weeks we’ll be procuring supplemental inventory and making it available for booking on a first-come first served basis. If you were unable to obtain a hotel room on opening day or are looking to change your assigned hotel or room type, please check back periodically as inventory will become available through supply additions and booking cancellations. Thank you for your patience.

Posted by jimdigris

Gencon watched this happen last year.  Why didn't they reserve more rooms this year?

Posted by zekester jimdigris

jimdigris wrote:
Gencon watched this happen last year.  Why didn't they reserve more rooms this year?
I read that Gen Con has contracts to stay in Indianapolis through 2026.  I respectfully submit that Indianapolis is too small to hold Gen Con's current number of attendees for three more years if Gen Con wants to give attendees a good experience. 

I realize "supplemental room block inventory will be made available for booking on a first-come first served basis" over the next few months and that I can try to get a hotel room every hour on the hour, but that stress and effort does not feel like a good experience to this seasoned enthusiastic attendee.

Posted by tawitt71

Where did you find that quote, not seeing it anywhere?  Inside the portal after you are allowed in (I still have 30 minutes)

Posted by sovereign12 tawitt71

tawitt71 wrote:
Where did you find that quote, not seeing it anywhere?  Inside the portal after you are allowed in (I still have 30 minutes)
Yeah it is after you do the search.

Posted by littlestlantern

Most reasonable hotels were sold out by 10:30 (pst) so we didn't even have a chance to book. 

Posted by austicke zekester

zekester wrote:
I read that Gen Con has contracts to stay in Indianapolis through 2026.

Posted by not-going-to-gencon

My time slot was four hours after hotel reservations opened and, predictably, there was nothing left. I was looking for a room just for myself.

I then had a look at hotel rooms that are not part of the Gen Con block, but it turns out they are either too far (5.5+ miles) or crazily expensive (£600+ per night!).

So it looks like no Gen Con for me.

I'm genuinely happy for Gen Con that it's able to attract so many attendees, but deplore its planning. Clearly Indianapolis isn't a suitable venue since the city can't accommodate everyone who bought a badge. At the very least, Gen Con could have commissioned a shuttle bus company to ferry people between the convention centre and outlying hotels. That wouldn't have been ideal, but at least it would have been something.

Posted by del_grande not-going-to-gencon

not-going-to-gencon wrote:I'm genuinely happy for Gen Con that it's able to attract so many attendees, but deplore its planning. Clearly Indiana isn't a suitable venue since the city can't accommodate everyone who bought a badge. At the very least, Gen Con could have commissioned a shuttle bus company to ferry people between the convention centre and outlying hotels. That wouldn't have been ideal, but at least it would have been something.

This was tried for a couple of years - I want to say 2014 and 2015 - but there were too many problems, especially if you were in a hotel that wasn't at the beginning of a route and had to listen to "Sorry, but we're full - get the next one (an hour from now)" over and over again.

Posted by njseahawksfan zekester

zekester wrote:
jimdigris wrote:
I read that Gen Con has contracts to stay in Indianapolis through 2026.  I respectfully submit that Indianapolis is too small to hold Gen Con's current number of attendees for three more years if Gen Con wants to give attendees a good experience. I realize "supplemental room block inventory will be made available for booking on a first-come first served basis" over the next few months and that I can try to get a hotel room every hour on the hour, but that stress and effort does not feel like a good experience to this seasoned enthusiastic attendee.

GenCon reupped through 2030, I'm guessing due in large part to the additional hotel(s) being built downtown.

https://www.wthr.com/article/news/local/groundbreaking-ceremony-held-on-project-that-will-reshape-the-indianapolis-skyline-pan-am-plaza/531-04e1bbb2-b0d7-44f4-9f00-0dc94e8d5832

Posted by raptorov not-going-to-gencon

not-going-to-gencon wrote:
My time slot was four hours after hotel reservations opened and, predictably, there was nothing left. I was looking for a room just for myself.
I then had a look at hotel rooms that are not part of the Gen Con block, but it turns out they are either too far (5.5+ miles) or crazily expensive (£600+ per night!).

I am guessing from your hotel price that you are from over seas. If you don't know no one would ever use the phrase "Modern transportation system" and "United States of America" in the same sentence. I think the USA packed it in after the moon landing.
Someday I would love to go to Essen for Spiel. It would be cool to see how that is run.
Its too bad too, Indy is well positioned to be well connected by something other than car.

Posted by njseahawksfan

Indy is connected by Amtrak.  Unfortunately, the 3 day a week schedule is extremely inconvenient for GenCon attendees (as in you can only do all 4 days by adding days on the front and back of the Con or miss some of it).  Also, a 10 hour drive (for me from the Philadelphia area) is a 21 hour train ride.  :(

Posted by raptorov

Exactly my point. I took Amtrak to Gen Con one year from Cincinnati when I didn't have to be there until Thursday, but had to catch a ride home. It also shouldn't take around 4 hours to go the 113 miles between Indy and Cincy. If we had modern rail, it would be 30-45 minutes from Cincy, essentially a commute. I know all the reasons they won't do it, but just contrasting to the gentleman overseas how things are set up so differently.
I have lots of fun stories from coworkers who have relatives visit from overseas thinking they can day trip to NY or CA.

Posted by quarex

Indianapolis is the city with the most connected hotel space to a convention center in the entire country if I recall correctly, so if 5 miles is too far to go from your hotel there is likely nowhere in the country or world that could support Gen-Con.

My catchphrase is that the only wrong choice is not going, so I encourage anyone thinking being 5 miles away is a death sentence to hear that I was 12 miles away in 2003 and still had an amazing time (even being in a 5-hour-long badge purchase line from the infamous virus shutdown) 

Posted by squirecam quarex

quarex wrote:
Indianapolis is the city with the most connected hotel space to a convention center in the entire country if I recall correctly, so if 5 miles is too far to go from your hotel there is likely nowhere in the country or world that could support Gen-Con.
My catchphrase is that the only wrong choice is not going, so I encourage anyone thinking being 5 miles away is a death sentence to hear that I was 12 miles away in 2003 and still had an amazing time (even being in a 5-hour-long badge purchase line from the infamous virus shutdown) 
This may be true. But it ignores walkable rooms. Dallas has 15k walkable rooms to its million sq ft convention center. Indy has 7500. Connected rooms in indy are more but most people would rather be walkable than driving in.

Dallas also has airport trams direct from the convention.

I like Indy. But there are other options where twice as many rooms are available within walking distance.

Posted by bunyipww

The issue with Dallas is everyone has to Fly there unless you live in Texas. Indianapolis is within a 6 hours drive of a huge percentage of the US population.

Posted by squirecam bunyipww

bunyipww wrote:
The issue with Dallas is everyone has to Fly there unless you live in Texas. Indianapolis is within a 6 hours drive of a huge percentage of the US population.
I fly anyways so that isnt relevant to me. I care more about the amenities at the location vs the drive time.

Posted by mikeboozer

Off topic people.

If you want to start yet another "Move Gen Con" you can do that with a new topic.

Mike

Posted by not-going-to-gencon del_grande

del_grande wrote:
not-going-to-gencon wrote:I'm genuinely happy for Gen Con that it's able to attract so many attendees, but deplore its planning. Clearly Indiana isn't a suitable venue since the city can't accommodate everyone who bought a badge. At the very least, Gen Con could have commissioned a shuttle bus company to ferry people between the convention centre and outlying hotels. That wouldn't have been ideal, but at least it would have been something.

This was tried for a couple of years - I want to say 2014 and 2015 - but there were too many problems, especially if you were in a hotel that wasn't at the beginning of a route and had to listen to "Sorry, but we're full - get the next one (an hour from now)" over and over again.

If shuttles had to turn people away because there was insufficient capacity, that sounds like my idea was a good one - there was plenty of demand - but it was poorly executed by Gen Con. What was needed was a larger fleet and better logistics, not shutting down the service completely which was exactly the wrong thing to do. 

Sign in to write a new post. New Post
1 3