Food truck line up for 2024?
Posted by ryanrb del_grande

del_grande wrote:
Well, the list of food trucks was posted on the blog, but it didn't mention which trucks were on which days.
I did manage to contact a number of trucks, and have compiled my Handy Dandy Phone-Friendly Food Truck Grid.
Note that the trucks were told the hours would be 9-9 (9-4 on Sunday), but the blog post says they will be 9-10. It is possible that the trucks will shut down at 9, but the Block Party vendors will remain open past that.
Would it be ok if I include your Food Truck Grid in an AI assistant I'm creating called GenCon Buddy?  The purpose of this assistant is to help people locate food, vendors, artists, authors and events at this year's GenCon in a conversational way. 

You can can check it out here:
https://chatgpt.com/g/g-55sBX2dvV-gencon-buddy

I've included it for now in addition to the official blog post, but I'm happy to remove it if you like.  This is purely a side project for me to learn about LLMs and see if it is possible to create a useful assistant.  It is free to use, though you do need a free Chat GPT account to access it.

Posted by bootylactin del_grande

del_grande wrote:
Well, the list of food trucks was posted on the blog, but it didn't mention which trucks were on which days.
I did manage to contact a number of trucks, and have compiled my Handy Dandy Phone-Friendly Food Truck Grid.
Note that the trucks were told the hours would be 9-9 (9-4 on Sunday), but the blog post says they will be 9-10. It is possible that the trucks will shut down at 9, but the Block Party vendors will remain open past that.

del_grande,

Would it be acceptable for me to iframe your Food Truck grid on to my Mobile friendly event site?  Normally I post the full schedule on my site but since they don't seem to be forthcoming with that and you're doing all the legwork, I'd like to display your work, with credit, instead.  It would sit at the following link:

https://gencon.eventdb.us/foodTrucks.php

Let me know, thanks!

Jon

Posted by rogersba ryanrb

ryanrb wrote:
del_grande wrote:
Would it be ok if I include your Food Truck Grid in an AI assistant I'm creating called GenCon Buddy?  The purpose of this assistant is to help people locate food, vendors, artists, authors and events at this year's GenCon in a conversational way. You can can check it out here:
I've included it for now in addition to the official blog post, but I'm happy to remove it if you like.  This is purely a side project for me to learn about LLMs and see if it is possible to create a useful assistant.  It is free to use, though you do need a free Chat GPT account to access it.

Definitely keep training it with newer data. It's giving me answers from 2022 or before.
Where are the food trucks? "Georgia Street" which should be "South Street"
Where is the auction? "ICC 134-139" which should be "Marriott"

Posted by del_grande bootylactin

bootylactin wrote:
del_grande wrote:

del_grande,Would it be acceptable for me to iframe your Food Truck grid on to my Mobile friendly event site?  Normally I post the full schedule on my site but since they don't seem to be forthcoming with that and you're doing all the legwork, I'd like to display your work, with credit, instead.  It would sit at the following link:
https://gencon.eventdb.us/foodTrucks.php
Let me know, thanks!
Jon

Sure, go ahead.
You might want to keep an eye on the Fans of Gen Con page on Facebook in case any truck makes a last minute announcement (there was one year when a truck had a last-minute breakdown and couldn't make it), as I won't be able to update the grid after 7/27.

Posted by ryanrb rogersba

rogersba wrote:
ryanrb wrote:
del_grande wrote:
Would it be ok if I include your Food Truck Grid in an AI assistant I'm creating called GenCon Buddy?  The purpose of this assistant is to help people locate food, vendors, artists, authors and events at this year's GenCon in a conversational way. You can can check it out here:

Definitely keep training it with newer data. It's giving me answers from 2022 or before.
Where are the food trucks? "Georgia Street" which should be "South Street"
Where is the auction? "ICC 134-139" which should be "Marriott"
Thanks for the comments and for the permission to use your grid.  I updated the GPT instructions and specifically corrected the food truck location information.  I'll also add updated info on the auction.  

Still a little hit or miss with AI.  Sometimes it gives me an amazing answer and sometimes it recommends something from left field (or 2022).  Hopefully it improves with time.  Either way I'll learn from the experience.

Posted by sletters

I was very disappointed with the food trucks this year looking for Celiac friendly food. My friend had trouble figuring out lactose free options. Labeling and availability was much better in previous years.

I thought I was crazy that I was not finding safe options easily, but someone to the time to catalog who had what. (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1lK9Iir5ew0Qnpx_o0BYX85Spl6sH9asgAf_t-YZe-o0/edit?gid=0#gid=0).

One of the two I did find on my own resulted in cross contamination and many trips to the bathroom.

Gencon needs to have food truck clearly labeled which allergen are present in truck and in food.

Posted by aldctjoc sletters

sletters wrote:Gencon needs to have food truck clearly labeled which allergen are present in truck and in food. 
One small point here, not meant as a criticism at all. But rather, as a clarification, so that people know who to send their recommendations to:

Gen Con does not contract with the food trucks. VisitIndy - the Indianapolis tourism bureau - does.

https://gencon.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/4776958381588-How-can-my-Food-Truck-participate-in-Gen-Con-Indy

"Food Truck participation is set up and coordinated by Visit Indy.
Contact Information:
Visit Indy
200 South Capitol Avenue, Suite 300, Indianapolis, IN 46225-1063
800.323.INDY (4639) | 317.262.3000"

There's additional contact information that's made public here - https://www.visitindy.com/contact - that even has a general "Contact Us" form near the bottom.

Again, posting this to make clear who handles the food truck presences, so that requests can be directed at the right organization. It's best to let VisitIndy know this, and recommend to them that food trucks be labeled to account for allergens and other dietary restrictions. 

New Post Sign in to write a new post.