Wednesday events all sold out
Posted by buffythecatslayer

All of the gaming events on Wednesday have already been sold out.  If we want to get into a game that may have open slots, do we just walk around Union Station and see if people have room?

Posted by remnant

You could, I check Gencon.Eventdb.us for new events/returns.

Posted by buffythecatslayer remnant

remnant wrote:You could, I check Gencon.Eventdb.us for new events/returns.

I do too, but I'm anticipating the situation that the events remain sold out, and there are no-shows.

Posted by raidkillsbugsded

It's not a terrible idea.  I used to run RPGs on Wednesday, and always had one or two open spots from no-shows.

Posted by nscott

A lot will change with regards to peoples travel schedules between now and August so that many of the tickets won't get used (or turned back in since they were all free). Also most of the games on the schedule at the moment are in the evening. I would expect a number of afternoon games to be added at a later time. ( I still have two with Accepted for Consideration status.)

Posted by aldctjoc

In addition to the above: I imagine a lot of event organizers have yet to actually submit, which means even more will appear. Maybe not many, but some more.

Posted by joeyskywalker

Wait, I thought Wednesday was strictly for industry folks? There are events we can play on Wednesday? 

Posted by hendelbolaf

Since the Wednesday, non-trade days, events are free, people reserve them, but never return them so the likelihood of any sold out events becoming available is extremely rare. However, the likelihood of everyone showing up to those events is also extremely rare, so I would show up at the Union Station and see what games are available for you to join.

As for the question of Wednesday events being available for non-industry folks, yes, there are a handful at Union Station. If you search for them now, you will see they are all sold out. Last year I just went and grabbed some space from the games HQ folks and set up a pick up game of Pathfinder. Wednesday gaming is fun!

Posted by zaphod

People are always desperate to play games and find space to play games on Wed, but unfortunately Gen Con has stubbornly refused to support open gaming space on Wed.  There are limited events in the Union Station but they always sell out instantaneously because the demand is so high.

You're pretty much on your own to find space and bring your own games.  It's pretty weird that they will support Trade Day but not any additional space for their own attendees that come Wed to register.

Posted by squirecam

We've never had issues finding table space at the Hyatt across the street.

You're pretty much on your own to find space and bring your own games.  It's pretty weird that they will support Trade Day but not any additional space for their own attendees that come Wed to register.

They support Trade Day because people are paying for it.  Anything else they do for Wednesday is a courtesy on their part.  They have signups for organized games, but they can't provide space inside the ICC because they are in the midst of both trade day & setting up for Thursday.

Posted by nscott buffythecatslayer

buffythecatslayer wrote:

They support Trade Day because people are paying for it.  Anything else they do for Wednesday is a courtesy on their part.  They have signups for organized games, but they can't provide space inside the ICC because they are in the midst of both trade day & setting up for Thursday.

It didn't seem to be the case last year, but in the past one problem with the ICC on Wednesday was that they wouldn't have the air conditioning on yet so it was kind of uncomfortable in there. :-)

Posted by bluemax

I have many Wednesday events not approved yet, so there will be more

I probably won't get any event tickets for Wednesday in advance, as I'm driving in, and my schedule is flexible.  I'll just check all the Wed events for their locations, pop over to those areas, and wander around until I find something to do. :-)

Posted by roderick

Ask at the Union Station HQ if there is an open table; we have a list of when tables are available. After the Stink, the entire main room turns into open gaming (8 PM). 

We ask that you check with us because a table may look open now, but be scheduled for an hour from now, and we don't like to give you the bum's rush just as you're getting into your game. 

Roderick Robertson
Union Staionmaster. 

Posted by selene314 joeyskywalker

joeyskywalker wrote:
Wait, I thought Wednesday was strictly for industry folks? There are events we can play on Wednesday? 

Only events in the "Trade Day" category require a Trade Day badge.
RPGs, etc. are open to anyone with a Thursday or 4-day badge.

Posted by mark_a

I'm waiting for my Wednesday event to be approved as well.  I've been running a Wednesday event for many years; they always sell out, but I've always had at least 2 or 3 no-shows.

Posted by deltafox65

I do know my game group (Mrs Kraken Presents) sold out for Wednesday night (Drive in Dread) but we are more than happy to fill slots if available when people just walk on by.  In fact like has been said in previous post its like regular gen con hours with no shows that can easily be filled by people if you just walk by.  Another thing we pride ourselves on is even if our game is filled up we usually have enough friendly faces in our group who are willing to pull out one of our board games and sit down and play with you.  Also if we are not too tuckered out from the scheduled events we usually will sneak in an encore of dread after the posted hours because we love gaming and showing people the locals of Indiana truly embrace the "Hoosier Hospitability" label. 

Posted by jffalaschi deltafox65

deltafox65 wrote:
I do know my game group (Mrs Kraken Presents) sold out for Wednesday night (Drive in Dread) but we are more than happy to fill slots if available when people just walk on by.  In fact like has been said in previous post its like regular gen con hours with no shows that can easily be filled by people if you just walk by.  Another thing we pride ourselves on is even if our game is filled up we usually have enough friendly faces in our group who are willing to pull out one of our board games and sit down and play with you.  Also if we are not too tuckered out from the scheduled events we usually will sneak in an encore of dread after the posted hours because we love gaming and showing people the locals of Indiana truly embrace the "Hoosier Hospitability" label. 

Thank you for the offer! Your Dread session on Wednesday was one that I really wanted and end up missing. My friends and I will stop by, just in case.

Posted by pshep999 jffalaschi

jffalaschi wrote:
deltafox65 wrote:

Thank you for the offer! Your Dread session on Wednesday was one that I really wanted and end up missing. My friends and I will stop by, just in case.
That would be so sweet bc due to my phone lagging I got stuck in line at event submission at 8000. And I had the two Wednesday Dread events as 1&2 on my list. I would totally be down for an encore. As long as you, the GMs are of course:)

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.