Who has their backup hotels booked?
Posted by lativius smarty_213

smarty_213 wrote:
So... I just looked at rates for the updated weekend.  Most hotels are unavailable, but Residence Inn Downtown-Canal is showing single bed rates for about $140 a night... but it's non-refundable.  Really good deal in my opinion, even if you're getting a hotel in block (whenever that happens).  Residence Inn is about 1/2 mile away from the ICC, and I've considered staying there in years past.  Does anyone have experience with that particular hotel?
Yes.  Great deal.  I've used points there.  Easy walk to convention center.

Posted by ematuskey smarty_213

smarty_213 wrote:
So... I just looked at rates for the updated weekend.  Most hotels are unavailable, but Residence Inn Downtown-Canal is showing single bed rates for about $140 a night... but it's non-refundable.  Really good deal in my opinion, even if you're getting a hotel in block (whenever that happens).  Residence Inn is about 1/2 mile away from the ICC, and I've considered staying there in years past.  Does anyone have experience with that particular hotel?

Great price, but remember we don't know yet how hard it will be to get Con tickets, even for those of us who rolled over our memberships.  If their capacity is less than the number of rollovers, they might have to institute a lottery or something, and there's a chance you won't get a ticket. 

Posted by smarty_213 ematuskey

ematuskey wrote:
smarty_213 wrote:

Great price, but remember we don't know yet how hard it will be to get Con tickets, even for those of us who rolled over our memberships.  If their capacity is less than the number of rollovers, they might have to institute a lottery or something, and there's a chance you won't get a ticket. 
Definitely a good point.  I'm assuming/wishing that the reduced capacity will still be pretty significant (say, 25,000), since the Con still needs to operate in a profitable manner for the in person portion.  If that's the case, I don't think there will be a huge demand Day 1 of badge registration because of the issues that people have mentioned in other threads (school, Yom Kippur, medical concerns, overseas travel restrictions, etc.) that will reduce attendance.

Posted by komoridarkclaw

Checked all the downtown hotels as soon as the price hit, and they were already all blacked out. Gen Con must have informed them before hand (not that I blame them in the slightest).
However, AirBnB has not had time to update their prices really, managed to snag a close by 2bd/2ba for ~ the price of a in-bloc hotel. Does have a 50% cancel fee, so beware, but its a decent enough backup.
~Komori

Posted by quarex

I was able to get the Hampton Inn, but it might only be because I am a Diamond member (though it did not explicitly say I was using a "Diamond perk" which it usually does in those circumstances).

Similarly to KomoriDarkClaw though, I also feel like I got the best deal I have ever gotten on a hotel during the convention, so it made me wonder if this is a fact of post-COVID-19 life or if they somehow forgot to update all their rates for the convention (I will say the rooms were up to $350/night if you just tried to book the days of the convention, and the good deals only appeared with longer stays)

Posted by zenmazster

on priceline.com they have the best western plus for $134/night, free breakfast.  a week ago when they announced the change, it was only $119/night and i snagged one.  anyone have any experience with this?

Posted by technoir ematuskey

ematuskey wrote:
Be honest--I already know I'm not the only one who's put a no-risk reservation down for a downtown hotel, "just in case" the con moves ahead but I don't do well in the lottery.  ;) 

I have 3 downtown suites booked ranging from 225-350 in price 

Posted by technoir ematuskey

ematuskey wrote:
Well, I just cancelled my reservation--I wasn't able to move it because all the downtown Hilton hotels are showing as booked for the new dates.  :p  I'll keep an eye on it--I'm really curious though about what an attendance cap will do to the demand for a downtown room this year! 

They did a REALLY good job locking down the Hilton. I'm usually ALWAYS able to get into Embassy Suites are Hilton proper, this year blocked out of both even tho I was on the site within 5 MINUTES of the announcement. 

Posted by alans

Residence in Canal booked as a back-up

Posted by divachelle

Residence Inn is pretty nice. 

Posted by audioslave

In a knee-jerk reaction, and probably just being used to the hotel crush in a normal year, I booked a room at Le Meridian on points. However, I realize the likelihood of it getting used is probably not very high given some of my gaming group probably won't make it, or won't be able to get a badge, and VIG status will make me want to stay somewhere else anyways.

Posted by ematuskey

FYI, for those who prefer Hilton properties: a few of them now show availability during the con dates.  Not Embassy Suites though, so don't even bother checking.  :p 

Posted by quarex

Wow, you were not kidding; I am seeing rooms at everything BUT the Embassy Suites (though one of them is only because I am a Diamond member).  Well, hey, good news is good news!  Though sadly the "book for at least 7 days for a cheaper rate" trick is not working on any of them that I see, maybe they fixed that loophole for the convention, or maybe only the Hampton does that

Posted by squirecam ematuskey

ematuskey wrote:
FYI, for those who prefer Hilton properties: a few of them now show availability during the con dates.  Not Embassy Suites though, so don't even bother checking.  :p 
yeah the prices were high except for the tru property, which was the one I booked.

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.