Looking for new hotel in 2023
Posted by rong brooks

brooks wrote:It really did freak me out that I could just walk into Goodwood and there were all kinds of seating open, particularly in the bar area. That would have been absolutely unheard of at the RAM. Same for Scotty's when it was around. 

I never did hit up Goodwood, seeing reviews of inconsistent wait times and the A/C being out. Normally I don't trust online chatter, but with so many options and low on time to spare, it was simple enough to pass on in favor of known entities. If they survive the next year and have a/c and no lines, I'll give it a go next year.

Posted by agent_duchovny brooks

brooks wrote:
quarex wrote:
Well I mostly agree, but there is a reason that the RAM (~2004-2010) and Scotty's (whatever its brief life was) were considered THE places to go for Gen-Con and were constantly packed accordingly, because they went above and beyond what was expected to make us feel welcomed.  

It really did freak me out that I could just walk into Goodwood and there were all kinds of seating open, particularly in the bar area. That would have been absolutely unheard of at the RAM. Same for Scotty's when it was around. 
We went to Goodwood and saw the empty seating thinking we could get a table (even in the bar area) immediately. We were told 30-45 minute wait and we left. I'm assuming it was due to being short staffed. I was disappointed because last year the tater tot allotment was enormous.

Posted by guardiankrillin

I heard that the Goodwood had the main manager fly out right before Gen Con due to the unexpected loss of his mother. A GM came in to cover in the managers sted, without much knowledge of the inner workings of the Indy location.  Coupled with unexpected a/c issues in the bar area and kitchen equipment issues at a time like Gen Con.  They were in a tough spot this year. 

Posted by knuteski

I gave Goodwood 2 chances and unfortunately, they failed on both.  The lack of A/C obviously really hurt to begin with but giving exclusivity to the DAG group on multiple nights just killed it for me.  Throw in the fact that the closest thing I saw there that was geeky was when they ran Battlebots on the big screen. 

Otherwise, it was a serious fail.  They will have to do a lot to win me over.

Of course, it appears Covid killed the entire downtown scene (Gen Con wise).  As soon as the street party ended each night, the whole town just got quiet with the exception of the non-Gen Con bar district over by the Homewood Suites.

Posted by gib_rebeg brumcg

brumcg wrote:
Before 2018, the JW was exceptional.  Good service, and they had Gen Con theming (folks in costumes, special items in the restaurants/bars).

The theming started to disappear in 2018 under new management who wanted to be more "professional."  It's completely gone now.  The overall service has also gone way downhill (how is that "professional"?).  We had numerous issues this year, but that could be staffing issues due to the pandemic.  

How are the other hotels handling Gen Con?

Theming is expensive and not every employee wants to participate in such events.

Right now most business are still trying to recover from the lockdowns. The hotel industry took it hard. The Conrad just lost a massive lawsuit to try and get lost funds. So unless a business knows they will see a good return on doing a theme, most will pass due to cost.

And as mentioned, a lot of employee's don't want to participate in theme events ether. Due to ether not being interested in those themes, or the cost on them as well. Not every business pays for costumes.

Also as some said, most places are still operating at below normal staffing levels. Just about every place is struggling to find workers.

I would give it a year or two, new themes will pop up, some will pass. Things are not back to normal yet.

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.